What is District 9212?
A District in Rotary, is a cluster of a number of Rotary Clubs located in one geographical area. The Districts are led by a District Governor, who is nominated by clubs in their district for their leadership qualities, Rotary experience, and dedication to service to serve for a one-year term.
District 9212 came into existence in the Rotary year 2010-11 following a decision by Rotary International Board of Directors to split what was, formerly District 9200 into two; that is, District 9211 and District 9212.
What is a Rotary Club?
The club is the most important component of Rotary’s organization structure. There are over 35,000 Rotary clubs in more than 220 countries and geographical areas. In District 9212, there are XXXX clubs located in Kenya, Ethiopia, South Sudan and Eritrea. Rotary clubs and their members are registered and recognised by Rotary International.
Who is the District Governor in District 9212?
The current District Governor in District 9212 is Joe Henry Otin, of the Lavington Rotary Club in Nairobi Kenya. He is an integrated communications and advertising professional, and the current CEO of The Collective. He succeeded Jeffery Bamford from the Rotary Club of Karen.
What is the DisCon 2020?
DisCon 2020 stands for the District Conference and Assembly that will be hosted by Rotary District 9212 in the year 2020. Event Details are as follows:
Date: April 2 to 4, 2020
Venue: Safaricom Stadium in Kasarani (Moi International Sports Centre).
Why Safaricom Stadium in Kasarani?
The Safaricom Stadium is strategically located only 20 minutes (13 kilometres) from the City Centre, Nairobi. It offers a tranquil environment with ample parking for guests and excellent conferencing facilities. It is also close to a number of hospitality facilities, for those who will be coming from other towns and countries.
Is this a one-off event?
The District Conference and Assembly is held annually, and brings together Rotarians from the host district as well as other districts that may be interested, to discuss pertinent and topical issues among Rotarians.
Is it free?
Rotarians and their guests will pay Kes. 15,000 or USD 150. This makes it one of the more affordable conferences in the District.
How do I attend?
You can register on https://www.discon.rotary9212.org
You will receive more information on the site and updates via email, as we draw nearer to DisCon 2020.
What else happens during the District Conference and Assembly?
Given that it is the only event that brings together Rotarians from one district, there is a mix of activities and events that encourage learning, bonding and interaction, as well as time for fun. There are both plenary and breakaway sessions, in which Rotarians and their guests get to attend based on their interests. Other activities include:
- Training sessions for officers in Rotary and Rotaract
- The District Governors Banquet
- Themed dinner events
- Election of the next District Governor Nominee
- Ceremonial handover to the next years District Governor
- Address by Rotary International’s Special Representative
- Project visits
Can I bring a guest?
Yes, you can bring a guest to a District Conference and Assembly. The events and topics are designed to accommodate both Rotarians and non-Rotarians. Often, aspiring Rotarians get to strengthen their resolve during such events.
Are Rotaractors and Interactors allowed to attend?
In 2019, Rotary International admitted Rotaract into Rotary. DisCon 2020 will therefore be first joint convention for Rotarians and Rotaractors, following this decision.
What else makes Discon 2020 different?
- Composition:It is a joint conference for Rotarians and Rotaractors, bringing together unique strengths, experiences and exposure to chart a rejuvenated future for Rotary.
- Attendance:It will be attended by global trailblazers in Rotary, Rotaract, International Organizations, as well as leaders in public and private sectors, as well as the development world, sharing relevant international perspectives that shape our world.
- Engaging:A departure from typical conference presentations, the DisCon 2020 will offer participants unrivaled opportunities to engage in enriching discussions on topical issues.
- Entertainment:Music- an international language and food for the soul- will characterize the conference, providing the much-needed break from the formal sessions of DisCon 2020.
- Educative:DisCon 2020 offers you ample formal and informal time meet and learn from Rotarians in District 9212 and beyond, and engage in partnerships, sharing of best practices and discuss other common interests, on the sidelines of the conference.
- Transformative:DisCon 2020 will harness your leadership potential and prepare you to become a better and effective in Rotary as well as your vocation.
Home Hospitality & Home-stays: And since fun, friendship, family and fellowship are characteristic of Rotarians, you will have a chance to visit with fellow Rotarians and break bread together with them at home.
Is it true that you will not serve meals during this year’s DisCon?
- It is true that the registration fee will not include the cost of buying lunch and dinner during the conference. However, the DisCon 2020 organising committee is working with leading meal vendors in Nairobi who will sell food at the venue at affordable process. This will give you the freedom to choose what you want to eat for a meal and at the same time get to sample different delicacies.